What is it?
What's the backstory?
High school students at KCTC began designing this project, guided by their teacher Marc Petz.
I developed a rapid prototype for the game based on the KCTC team's design documents.
The KCTC students sent me their meshes. I imported the meshes, fixing as many issues as I could along the way.
What did I contribute?
To get to an MVP quickly, I prioritized fleshing out the structure of the game, making sure the player could move seamlessly between all scenes (main menu, a base camp, 6 combat levels, and a final boss level).
So early on I focused on building a "loading screen" that could animate in over the current scene before streaming in the next level. This required the use of sub-levels, which in-turn affected how the nav-mesh and other features would have to work.
I built the placeholder (but functioning!) widget blueprints and corresponding code: main menu, loading screen, credits, pause menu, and in-game hud.
I was the content pipeline. Students sent me all of their assets at once, and I imported everything into the engine. Using these assets I built the animation blueprints, materials, and other blueprints. I also used their content to quickly block-out the levels.
Though we ended up using level streaming, a lot of persistent data (e.g. number of diamonds) is stored in a custom GameInstance class.
I did the gameplay programming, though it is quite simple: a weapon system, the avatar movement, and the AI. I also created the blueprints for swapping weapons and teleporting between levels.